Oklahoma Land Openings Map courtesy of the Oklahoma History Center Research Center for more maps and State History go to their website by clicking the map http://www.okhistory.org/research/
Edmond Station & Depots First Train Order Office in Edmond, 1887 Edmond, Indian Territory, Train Order Office, c. 1887, note the one stall water closet, the Water Tank on stilts at left, and freight cars parked along the siding. Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe workers and officials stand on the small wooden platform in front
A Coaling and Watering Station WATERING STOP FOR PASSING TRAINS From Left: Edmond’s Water Well, The Pump House and Water Tank on Stilts with a standpipe for watering passing trains. In the foreground, the small marker in the ground, in between the tracks is the actual “Mile Marker 103,” which indicated the number of miles
The Moral Twenties The year 1920 launched a decade of Puritan restriction of pool halls, beer drinking, dancing and even roller skating in Edmond; a decade tinged heavily with racial overtones and public influence, if not intimidation, by the Ku Klux Klan. While other parts of the nation were indulging in the excesses
Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe RR Ultimately, it was the advent of the railroad which gave birth to Edmond in terms of location and name. On July 4, 1884, Congress granted rights to both the Southern Kansas Railway, (whose securities were owned by the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad Company) to build across the
Unassigned Lands The distinctive T-shape outlined in the center of this map in red indicates the area of the “Unassigned Lands” Department of Interior General Land Office Map, Drawn by Civil Engineer George Mayo, 1887. Indian territory: compiled from the official records of the records of the General Land Office and other sources under supervision
Edmond Armory History Step through the front door of the Edmond Historical Society & Museum and immediately enter our community’s history. This building was constructed in 1936, built as the Armory of the 179th Infantry, 45th Division of the Oklahoma National Guard. This historic, native sandstone building was built by the Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.).
Reconstruction Treaties The Reconstruction Treaties of 1866 began to pave the way for the creation of new towns in the Cross Timbers region of the United States before the end of the 19th century. As a punishment for siding with the Confederate cause of the Civil War, the Five Civilized Tribes were stripped of their
First Schoolmarm in Oklahoma Territory Ollie McCormick was the first Schoolmarm of the Oklahoma Territory. She taught the first class in the 1889 Territorial one-room Schoolhouse in Edmond on September 16, 1889 At the beginning of the term she taught 19 students, and by its close, there were a total of 37 pupils.
Royce Cafe Royce and Neva Adamson opened the Royce Cafe in 1933. Located at Fourth and Broadway in Edmond, This Building was made from native red sandstone. Customers enjoyed 24-hour service with favorites like Hot Dr. Pepper in the winter and their famous Blue Cheese Dressing. Legend has it that John Dillinger, the