Interurban Railway in Edmond Men and Mules prepared the roadbed for the Interurban line down the center of Broadway. Edmond Historical Collections The Oklahoma Railway Company operated interurban line to Edmond beginning in 1911. The service was eagerly anticipated by Edmond residents. At a time when few people owned cars, (the first car in
The Right of Way Graves The 1979 red granite Oklahoma Historical Society marker and two tombstone markers denote the graves of two railroad laborers (located at the railroad right-of-way, just north of 33rd street in Edmond), who reportedly died in a fight when the Southern Kansas Railroad was being graded through Edmond.
The Old Swimming Hole Edmond’s First Public Swimming Pool, originally located directly behind Old North Tower on what is today the UCO campus. The pool was built in 1915 by the Manual Training Class. The first pool was “fenced in” with wire barricades and was reportedly rich with the red mud silt of the area.
The Mother Road U.S. Highway 66, popularly known as “Route 66,” is significant as the nation’s first all-weather highway linking Chicago to Los Angeles. When contrasted with transcontinental corridors such as the Lincoln Highway and U.S. Highway 40, Route 66 does not stand out as America’s oldest or longest road. Nevertheless, what sets this
Edmond “Firsts” Firs t Church – St. John the Baptist Catholic Church was completed and dedicated June 24, 1889. It was located on the corner of Boulevard and First Street. This was the first church building constructed in the Unassigned Lands of Indian Territory. A replica building, now housed in the Edmond Historical Museum was created by the Knights
Edmond’s Namesake EDMOND SCHUYLER BURDICK (July 16, 1858 – March 26, 1909) Edmond Oklahoma’s Namesake The town of Edmond, Oklahoma was named for Edmond Schuyler Burdick, a Traveling Freight Agent for the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad. Formerly designated “Mile Marker 103” by a party of surveyors with the Southern Kansas Railway, the name