Old Time Religion
In terms of public institutions, Edmond hurried ahead of other towns.
The first church in Oklahoma Territory was St. John the Baptist Catholic
Church at First and Boulevard. The church was completed at a cost
of $500 on June 24, 1889, and had a congregation of 150 people. The
building was shared by early Edmond churches on a rotating basis.
Within 11 years the Catholic parishioners had outgrown the building.
The original structure was sold and moved downtown to serve as the
Debout Barber Shop. In honor of the 100th anniversary of the church
in 1989, the Knights of Columbus constructed a scale model of the
church. This model is located in front of the church exhibit.
five churches that appeared in early Edmond included the First Baptist
Church, First Presbyterian Church, First Christian Church, Sarah E.
Riley Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church, and the Parish of St. John
the Baptist Catholic Church.
Fun Facts about Edmond’s churches: The first classes of Central
Normal School were held in the almost completed Methodist Church in
November 1891. The First Baptist Church established the Baptist Student
Union at Central State to fill the needs of students on campus.