Edmond has the distinction of having the first public schoolhouse in Oklahoma Territory. Completed in August 1889, the small frame building was located at the southwest corner of Second and Boulevard. Money was raised to pay Miss Ollie McCormick $75 a month for the winter term.
Edmond has always had the reputation of having good schools. Miss Edna Fansher served as the first principal of Edmond High School in 1913. Miss Fansher was instrumental in the choosing of the school colors – garnet and gray. The first Edmond High School Building was built in 1924 on North Boulevard, the building served as a high school until 1957 when a new building was constructed at Ninth and Rankin. In 1975, the third and current Edmond Memorial High School building was built. Due to the tremendous growth in Edmond, in 1993 two additional high schools were constructed – Edmond North High School and Santa Fe High School. In 1995 an addition was added to Edmond Memorial High School.
It was through the efforts of Dr. J. W. Howard and Milton Reynolds that Edmond was awarded in 1890 the Normal School of the Territory of Edmond, now the University of Central Oklahoma. This school was the first Normal School (teacher’s training) to offer instruction in Oklahoma. The first graduating class in 1897 had 5 students. Since that first graduation the university has undergone six name changes and tremendous growth both in student numbers and campus facilities.
Oklahomas First Territorial School House on 124 E. Second Street is a living exhibit and historic site. The Schoolhouse is open to the public the first two Saturdays of the month from 1:00-4:00pm. To schedule a field trip or tour call the museum at 340-0078.
Where did your School get its name?
Link to our Material: “What’s in a Name?” to find out more
Note: The school exhibit is funded by a grant from the Kirkpatrick Family Fund.