Originally called the “Night & Day” in 1927 when it was first built, the Wide-A-Wake Cafe was open to Route 66 travelers 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The daughter of the original owner, Cleo, and her husband Noe Lamson owned the Wide-A-Wake from 1931 until 1972. Pictures of truckers lined its walls; momentos of thanks for wake up call breakfasts served to their cabs by the Wide-A-Wake on their long hauls through Oklahoma. Seating only 31, outside tables and curbside service were provided by the Wide-A-Wake’s dedicated wait staff.
Crawford Noe of the Wide-A-Wake and Royce Adamson, of the Royce Cafe were best of friends and often went hunting and fishing together. Crawford encouraged Royce to open his cafe in 1934, based on the success the Wide-A-Wake had as a result of the oil boom.