Step through the front door of the Edmond Historical Society Museum and you immediately enter the community’s history. The museum is housed in the former Armory of the 179th Infantry, 45th Division of the Oklahoma National Guard. The historic, native sandstone building was built in 1936 by the WPA and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.
Our permanent exhibits are arranged thematically highlighting the history of the prairie and Native People before statehood, the coming of the railroad in 1886, the Land Run of 1889, agriculture and life on the Plains, education, commerce, city growth and services, Edmond athletics, and religion. Temporary and traveling exhibits keep the museum alive and changing. In May 2016 our relocated Research Library will provide opportunities for genealogical and historic exploration. The Children’s Learning Center and interactives throughout the gallery invite hands-on discovery for all ages.
Groups visiting the museum with 10 or more visitors should call or email ahead to schedule their visit. Call us at 405-340-0078 or email Anna.