WPA Centennial Planning Meeting
February 29, 2024 @ 9:30 am - 3:00 pm
It’s just 10 years until the NEW DEAL CENTENNIAL!
The Oklahoma New Deal Centennial Planning Meeting on February 29ths, 9:30am-3:00pm is a roundtable for stakeholders and individuals who care about Oklahoma’s CCC and WPA structures, art, and history.
The agenda will include speakers about Roosevelt’s New Deal projects in Oklahoma, historic site and preservation information, funding opportunities, and time to discuss statewide plans for the upcoming centennial.
The free event will be held at the 1936 WPA Armory that now houses the Edmond History Museum at Stephenson Park (431 S. Boulevard, Edmond, Oklahoma 73034). Lunch is on your own, with many food options within walking distance along 5th Street.
- Create awareness about the upcoming Centennial of New Deal projects
- Gather interested people who can develop a vision for promotions of CCC/WPA sites
- Provide access to professionals and resources that can assist in preservation and promotion of CCC/WPA projects
- Showcase CCC/WPA site success stories to encourage new preservation projects
- Form a committee to spearhead tourist activities for the future, which might include a travel passport, tourist map, public awareness materials, and centennial events beginning in 2033.
Recipients will receive “I Love My CCC/WPA” promotional materials and an informational packet. The event will be filmed to create a public video.
Special Thanks to the Oklahoma State Historical Preservation Office, with support from Oklahoma Lt. Governor Matt Pinnell and the Oklahoma History Center.
- Oklahoma Museum Association
- Oklahoma State Parks
- 45th Infantry Division Museum
- Visit Edmond
- Edmond Historic Preservation Trust
- Osage Hills State Park
Sponsored with funding from the National Trust for Historic Preservation.