past - Edmond Historical Society

  • Monkey Bars & Walking Trails: Over 100 Years of Edmond Parks

    “Big, little, old and young are urged to visit the park for rest, recreation or work.” Edmond Sun, May 5, 1921 The creation and development of Edmond’s parks required the […]

  • WWII Edmond: Housewives on the Homefront

    WWII’s Affect on Women War affected everything for women. Some women during WWII went to work for the military or in factories–but more women stayed home. Women of Edmond Housewives […]

  • Edmond Swimming Hole

    The Old Swimming Hole

    Edmond’s First Public Swimming Pool, originally located directly behind Old North Tower on what is today the UCO campus. The pool was built in 1915 by the Manual Training Class. […]

  • Edmond Athletics

    The citizens of Edmond have always enjoyed participating in a variety of sports and leisure activities. As Edmond developed the earliest activities included corn husking parties, quilting bees and barn raisings. These activities […]

  • USA WPA

    WPA In Edmond

    Works Progress Administration President Franklin D. Roosevelt created the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1935 to provide jobs during a period of massive unemployment in the U.S. From 1935 to 1943, the […]

  • World War II and Libertyfest

    World War II As World War II began erupting across Europe in 1939, the nation faced changes that effected day-to-day activities. Many Edmond men and women participated in the war effort by […]

  • 1905 Mayor Jesse S. Ringer and wife Isa Ringer

    City Services

    Jesse Ringer served one term as Edmond’s Mayor from 1905-1906. He was tragically killed by a fast freight train hitting Ringer and Real Estate partner William Nave’s automobile in December […]

  • Van's Bakery

    Van’s Bakery

    Van’s Bakery was a landmark in Edmond, Oklahoma for 44 years and was ranked in its day as one of the outstanding independent bakeries of Oklahoma. Many of Edmond’s citizens […]

  • Royce Cafe

    Royce Cafe

    Royce and Neva Adamson opened the Royce Cafe in 1933. Located at Fourth and Broadway in Edmond, the building was made from native red sandstone. Customers enjoyed 24-hour service with […]

  • Wide A Wake Cafe

    Wide-Awake Cafe

    Originally called the “Night & Day” in 1927 when it was first built, the Wide-A-Wake Cafe was open to Route 66 travelers 24 hours a day, seven days a week. […]